It’s summer and although we have already been experiencing the wonderful warm bath the sun has been giving us for a few months now-this directed at countries that experience other climates- I feel I should use this piece as a reminder or notice of caution when enjoying you’re summer fun.
We all know that when June to August comes around, summer automatically means: No school, Endless parties, Free events, Alcohol, Bikini, skin, Group trips, Kids at camp, and hangovers at work. With so much happening in summer, people tend to be a bit more carefree and reckless in their decision making. For example, I know a young man who went to Cuba with his girlfriend for vacation and around the last few days of their vacation the tendons in his right arm were pretty much sliced up due to too much alcohol and a dirty fall on broken glasses. Surely enough it turned into a very painful and expensive trip. Not to mention this will affect him long term. It was that serious.
That being said, to get the best out of your summer, and have wonderful stories to tell instead of painful recollections, please keep the following common sense top 10 in mind:
1. Don’t over do the drinking. Pace yourself and keep hydrated (water, coconut water etc). Also avoid mixing your alcohol.
2. Don’t leave your drink unattended.
3. If you’re drinking- DO NOT DRIVE. Call a cab/taxi or have a designated driver
4. Be aware of your environment at all times. Avoid being in unfamiliar places alone-especially if you have been drinking.
5. Eat healthy. Yes everyone wants to look their best during summer but starving yourself is not the answer. Your body needs the right nutrients especially if you’re drinking hard.
6. If you plan on travelling- ensure that you know the rules and protocols of the country/place you’re visiting. The stories about tourist getting locked up in foreign countries are no myths. There have been accounts. If you don’t believe me check “Locked Up Abroad”, it’s real.
7. Don’t be too happy to pose for the camera and remember nothing’s wrong with thinking about the long term effects- especially if you’re in a relationship.
8. Protect yourself. Although pepper spray isn’t a bad idea, I’m talking about the sexual encounter that will quickly become a bad idea if you don’t wrap it up or ask him to wrap it up.
9. Don’t do stupid shit to impress others. That cliff that you are looking to jump off-even though you can’t swim isn’t a great idea. Just saying, think about it before you act on it.
10. Try and avoid being in the sun for long periods. I’m not just talking about that sun burn that you’ll get. I’m talking about heat stroke, and other health problems that you can get. Use sunscreen.
BONUS: COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE. Always let someone know your location
If you follow my silly advice, you’ll be sure to have a wonderful and safe summer. Enjoy the sun and have lots of fun and remember if you don’t be safe, you’ll definitely be sorry!